We are excited to announce that our Prevention Department was recently awarded monies from the Arizona Parents Commission on Drug Education and Prevention Grant Program through the Governor’s Office of Youth, Faith and Family. This award is effective July 1, 2016, and will go through June 30, 2018.
The Drug Education and Prevention Grant Program will target youth (ages 10-19) and adults caring for youth in the Southwest Phoenix Valley. This will include Avondale, Tolleson, and Goodyear. The program utilizes a multi-faceted approach to address youth substance use by incorporating substance use education for youth and caretakers (Rx 360); family-based substance use education (Families In Action), and community awareness (CARE Coalition & public awareness campaign).
What do we plan to do?
- Increase the caregiver and youth anti-drug use attitudes and perception of the risk/harm of abusing alcohol and controlled substances.
- Increase parent/guardian skills.
- Increase the public awareness of the risk/harms of youth alcohol use, controlled drug use, and Rx drug misuse.
First-Year Projected Community Impact
- Number of Adults Directly Served (Unduplicated): 275
- Number of Adults Indirectly Impacted: 25,000
- Number of Youth Directly Served (Unduplicated): 275
- Number of Youth Indirectly Impacted: 8,000
- Total Number Served in Year 1: 33,550
Touchstone’s Prevention Department is excited and ready to continue serving the communities and individuals in the Southwest Phoenix area.